91 Spider Valve Guide Question

Last week my machininst calls me and asks if I could order the parts for the
valve job since his "source" delivered wrong or incomplete parts for the
head twice already.  (I had suggested this from the beginning but I got the
nah, I can get the parts" line...blah blah blah)

In the IAP Catalog (and others), it shows that you should use the intake
guides with seals on the exhaust side.  The IAP person on the phone
recommended that I just order the older style exhaust guides without seals.
He said using the seals was a mod that Alfa only tried for a short time and
IAP doesn't recommend it.  But on the other hand it looks like it was what
they did with the later model cars so maybe its the better way?  I figure
they know their Alfa engines better than I do but  can I get a second
opinion from you guys & gals?

Any pros or cons for doing this either way?  The motronic engine has a
couple tiny differences from the other engines but I don't know if this is a
major one or not?

Anyway I'd appreciate your thoughts before I have the cylinder head put back
together!  (Also I have the block mating surface cleaned pretty well but is
there any trick to getting it completely spotless?)

-Rob Bitzer
91 Spider
Freehold, NJ