Bosch ignition timing and pinging

My 1984 Spider is pinging on acceleration, otherwise it's great. My fuel's good, the vacuum sensor responds to a hand vacuum pump, and I'm fairly certain there's no carbon problem. Here's my (dumb) question:

Since it's not a purely electronic system (i.e., there's still a mechanical distributor), what exactly does the Bosch ECU do to vary the ignition timing? Does it rotate the distributor? (I don't see any electrical connectors down there.) For what it's worth, last summer I replaced the catalytic converter with a straight pipe. Could this be influencing the manifold vacuum enough to throw the calibration off?

Thanks to all!