Re:stuck on upholstery!

Thanks for the reply, Paul, It was of great benefit.

It took quite a while for the light to come on for me, but I finally
removed the teardrop covers completely instead of just pivoting them out of
the way. Wouldn't you know that the pivot point I'd used turned out to be
the plug covering the screw ends!
As for the wire insert and O-rings, I just hadn't picked up on the O-rings
being present (they just looked like part of the spring assembly on a
cursory look). The threads I saw were actually what was holding the layer
of fabric that houses the spring, to the rest of the seat-back skin
originally. It had separated and what I thought was part of the foam
construction was actually the wire frame section held in place by the
O-rings (still).
The hogring pliers and rings are buried on the work bench somewhere, so
with a little more luck everything will come together over the next night
or two.
Thanks again for your help, and I'm sure happy for you that your Spider is
back in action again.

Hugh
'74 Spider
Medicine Hat