wire wheels another provocation

My point about wire wheels for automobiles (four wheelers) was precisely that they were inadequate from an engineering point of view. Sure they were lighter than the equivalent steel wheel but they were unable to deal with the side forces generated by really good tires. Pneumatic tires are slip angle devices on four wheeled vehicles. As tires got better this became obvious. The tire tries to punch the hub out of the wire wheel causing endless maintenance problems. Camber thrust vehicles (two wheelers) do not suffer from this but do suffer from spoke stretch, hence the movement to alloy wheels for two wheeled performance vehicles.

Bicycle and motorcycle wheels exploit the main advantage of wire wheels which is of course that the axle is suspended from a wire in tension rather than held up by a pillar in compression ( the spoke is a tension device). However, on four wheeled vehicles pneumatic tires generate considerable side forces through slip angles making them unsuitable for wire wheels. Before pneumatic tires a "tire" (early tires were simply steel bands shrunk onto a wooden wheel as a wear surface and a compression structure, probably related to similar structures on wooden barrels) could not generate significant side forces. Spokes only needed to be strong enough to resist the collision side force of a wheel striking a rut or other solid object sideways.

Wire wheels for cars were no doubt aimed at achieving low unsprung weight with sufficient strength, together with good brake drum cooling. Alloy wheels as well as disc brakes make wire wheels obsolete. Wire wheels are simply an anachronism unless installed on the correct period vehicle.

I do not disagree with wire wheels being installed on correct period automobiles.

I find installation of wire wheels on non period automobiles to be an absurd affectation. I've seen wires on modern Jaguars and Mercedes. This is absurd affectation. Thankfully, this is now mostly past. Only to be replaced with the more modern affectation of fitting extremely large wheels with absurdly low profile tires to everything from rice rockets to SUVs. Puleeze.

Extremely low profile tires and large wheels increase unsprung weight, reduce grip unless suspension geometry is carefully planned to minimize camber changes (usually through extremely limited wheel travel) and seriously increase the road hazard risk of blowouts etc. No one in their right mind would put anything shorter than a 45 series tire on a modern street vehicle. For an SUV, 78 is the minimum appropriate profile. For my tastes, 50 series is it for street rubber, 45 is just silly and anything shorter is pure affectation enjoyed by the ignoranti.

Cheers

Michael Smith
White 1991 164L
Original owner