Re:stuck on upholstery!

Hugh Shawcross wrote:

--------------------
I could use some advice from someone with experience in re-skinning Spider
seats.
--------------------

Hugh

To get the seat backs apart from the bottoms (going on some fuzzy memory
here) you have to pop off that teardrop shaped plastic cover plate then
crank the recline until the access hole lines up with the upper mounting
screw. The lower mounting screw is a special fancy one so don't lose it. The
tube that goes across the back is to drive the outer recline gear and just
fits into the assemblies at each end.

There is no sewing involved with installing the new upholstery. The piping
around the inner panel has a steel wire in it and you wrap these rubber
o-ring like things around it then poke them through holes in the foam, pull
them tight and hook them on the springs in back. I used new o-rings that I
got from Ace Hardware. The seat bottoms have short little springs. If they
are rusted or broken you'll probably have a fun time finding something to
replace them with.

The side panels of the seatback wrap around the frame and are secured with
push on clips which are then covered by a plastic channel that snaps on
around the perimeter where the hard back panel fits in.

The seat bottoms have a wire frame underneath that the center panel
retaining springs hook too and that the outer panel edges get hogringed to.
You'll need a set of hogring pliers and some hogrings (not expensive) The
cushion has some weird fiber material around the bottom edge that the
hogrings dig into and that holds the frame and the whole thing together. The
rear part of the outer panel has a flat plate that fits into it with a screw
hole at each end. Do that last as the screw holes allow you to pull it
tightly into place with a scribe and secure the whole thing.

I bought my set from World Upholstery and it was leather so yours should be
easier to do than mine was. It's basically a lot of pulling and tugging and
stretching, followed by more yanking and tugging. Take your time and it will
turn out beautiful.

Paul Irvine - Antioch CA
Project Alfa