Re: Convention Travel

Peter:

We've (Diana and I) driven to 25 AROC national convention & annual meeting events in the 27 years we've been married. From a central point in the USA like IL or TX almost all events are reachable easy drives (tho if you try to do FL in a one week trip you will be busy<g>.

Best way to prepare is with preventative maintenance. Check and fix all those things which are known issues. Have your 30(60,90,120) mile checkup if its close. If that timing belt (T-belt) has more than 30 k mi (see last sentence) have it changed/change it. Check your water pump for play. If it has lots of miles have it changed with your T-belt & whilst you're at it any idler pulleys. If you're autox-ing or time trialing, or prone to high reving on the road check and replace tired drive shaft couplings (donuts, giubos). Check your cooling system / ac for proper function especially in traffic.

If you don't have time or money to do these things, carry the spare parts (T-Belt is a must do if it has 30K mi +, I'll tell you a story about the '91 Detroit convention, and the Bluewater Bridge and my Milano Gold's timing belt breaking whilst crossing into Canada after the convention.)

Best Wishes,
& See you in Ft. Lauderdale
Bernie Bennett
Brenham, TX
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&as_qdr=all&q=alfa+guibo+site%3Adigest.net&btnG=Google+Search

I'm considering going to the convention in S. Florida, driving from Chicago, but didn't want to do the driving alone.

I have an '87 Verde in good condition with every expectation of making the trip without incident. I will however be bringing tools just in case. This is an Alfa after all.

Would anyone in the midwest area be willing to split gas and driving? If you have mechanical skills, that would be bonus insurance (2 heads are better than 1) should problems arise. I'm a reasonable mechanic if you dont.

-Peter