Re: Wire Wheels on 62 Sprint

Greetings Digesti:

Just a minor correction regarding the judging of the 62 Sprint with wires at the AROC National Convention last July.  The late Pat Braden did not judge that class.  Christopher Boles and I judged the Sprints, and whether the wires were "correct" or not, the rest of the car was so superb that it did not matter.  Mr. Allen stated that the wheels were a proper fitment, and judging by the attention to detail of the rest of the restoration we were not going to question that statement.  I have seen a lot of judging blunders regarding what is correct or not (and have made a few myself I'm sure), so unless the item is totally and obviously wrong or out of character, then I usually let it go.  Now, if it comes down to affecting the results of the judging, then further consultation is required.

There is always a lot of discussion on the 2000/2600 group about fitting wires, and they do change the character of the car.  However, at least on these cars the currently available options are limited due to the hubs and the constraints of the wheel/drum/fender clearances.  Re-Originals is offering a set of wheels and hubs for about USD 4500!!

Regards,

Arno Leskinen
President Arizona Chapter AROC
115