electronic ignition SPICA

Such little real info from me on this one... BUT, being the skeptical engineer, I never made a decision until I really had to...

So, started looking at the Allison system. Yes, it has been that long. This is now Crane. As mentioned before, I also found out that one can put the optical trigger on the rotor, as long as you took apart the distributor. Never bought one...

Also considered both the Pertronix and MSD units.

MSD has a mixed reputation. Some people swear by them, some at them....

While trying to get our Challenge Turbo Spider running, I HAD to get a good ignition module to make the car run, so we went with the MSD unit (like I said, forced to get one). Worked great on the "bench" set up in the Spider.

Naturally, I thought this was cool, so I moved it to my GTV. Kept the points as the trigger. The problems started to appear when I drove to work one day.. it started to misfire as the car got hot. Came to a head at an autocross- the car barely ran... so I "ripped" it out, and finished the event. One person's experience, and I have NOT looked into resolution...

Still wanted ignition, but the Pertronix system was not made for the Mirelli distributor.

Lucky me, I had a spare Bosch. It now has a Pertronix, and I'm quite happy with it! Easy to install, never touch...

BTW, I ran on points for 4 years with out any problems. If you've got a healthy points system, it should work just fine. Yes, I'm a little irrational...

Eric Storhok
Ann Arbor, MI

AROC Detroit Homepage: http://www-personal.umich.edu/~alfa/index.htm