Re: electric fan in spider/Milano temp switch

I finally put an electric fan in my spider this weekend, bought a wiring kit
with temp switch probe/switch included.
The switch is set for 185F so I mounted it about 2" from the bottom of the
upper tank on the radiator, directly under the outlet for the upper hose.
I'm sure glad I put an override switch in because the temp gauge went up to
212F and the fan never came on! It went down when I switched it on remotely.
I can only assume that the water temp in the radiator never got to 185F? I
shorted the wires at the switch and the fan worked,i.e. the wiring is OK.
It's been suggested that a Milano temp switch will fit nicely into one of
the recessed hex cap plugs in the head, is that any year Milano?
I can get a Beck Arnley switch at a local Napa for $11.95. Obviously I'd
rather not count on my memory to switch the fan on and off manually as
required. Any input is welcome!!!
If the Milano part is not an option, does anybody have input on the
late model Spider switch that installs in the radiator?  Just wondering
what temp. it kicks the fan on at.

I posted an elegant solution a few months ago for my GTV. I too, didn't like
the
kit sensor. I found that the SAAB 900 Turbo from 1987 or so, had an inline
housing for the switch. See the picture of it at:

http://www.geocities.com/ijetset/Images/Cars/radiator_housing.jpg

The temp sensor is from an Alfetta and comes on at 85C and is normally
mounted
very low on the Alfetta radiator. It also seems to fit perfectly in the
threads of the
SAAB housing. The SAAB switch came on at 110C and was mounted in the
upper radiator hose. I used the Alfetta switch and  mounted it in the lower
radiator
hose to be out of view. Remember that hot water comes in from the top, is
cooled
by the radiator, and then descends through the radiator. Switch temp and
position
are important.

Here is the installation in my GTV. You kind of have to study the picture to
see it:

http://www.geocities.com/ijetset/Images/Cars/temp_sensor_12.jpg
http://www.geocities.com/ijetset/Images/Cars/temp_sensor_13.jpg

I got the SAAB part from a junkyard for a few bucks, and the Alfetta switch
is 10
or 11 bucks.

Stefano
Oakland, CA