Re: well.. sigh, one case of bad engine NOT? !!!

Well that wouldn't exactly be bursting my bubble, that would be very good
news.  I thought the compression was supposed to be around 170-175, I
figured the 135-140 figures I was getting on two cylinders and inconsistency
with the other two was a bad thing...  It's excellent to hear that it's O.K.
The oil leaking wasn't too much of a concern, I just figured it was another
reason to give it some attention...  The visible smoking is definitely
pretty bad, especially the deccel/accel test.  I too was thinking valve
guide seals but after the compression test I assumed the worst.  The SPICA
will be getting a tune-up, however first it needs to be installed on the car
;)  Right now it's apparently rich running webers.  The black splatters,
well... perhaps I was being hypercritical after doing the compression test,
I had just never noticed them before (The garage floor is pretty clean back
there and I start and drive the car all the time)  What it isn't doing is
puffing out steam and blue smoke constantly.  What it IS doing is letting
out some pretty big blue clouds every other time I leave a stop light and
when I'm driving... "enthusiastically".  It certainly doesn't have anywhere
NEAR the feel of the other spiders I've driven, the car doesn't rev like it
should, the other cars didn't leave such volumes of air pollution around
either.  Hopefully it is just all in the tuning, that would be great... I
was just worried about throwing a bunch of money into tuning an engine which
I thought was compromised to begin with.  Thanks for your response, you
saved me alot of money and stress, I was losing sleep over it.
Meanwhile, the slave cylinder was an excellent excuse for me to buy some
snap-ring pliers :)
___
 /<>/>/>
77 spider