Re: well.. sigh, one case of bad engine

Todd,
       I hate to burst your bubble, but I think your engine's OK.  But then
again, half the fun of owning an Alfa is doing all the neat mechanical
stuff.....  ;-)

> Date: Fri, 16 May 2003 19:52:01 -0400
> From: "Todd Schinell" <alfatodd@domain.elided>
> Subject: well.. sigh, one case of bad engine..
>
> Well I wasn't able to get up to don erminas' place to have him drive my car
> and diagnose the engine due to a slave cyllinder failure. (that's another
> story)   I was, however, able to do a compression test on the car with the
> engine warmed up and throttle wide open, here's what I got:
>
> CYL 1: try 1: 158  "ok.. a little low.."
>             try 2: 155
> CYL 2: try 1: 138  "whoa... alot low, damn"
>             try 2: 141
>             add oil: 231
> CYL 3 try 1: 140
>             try 2: 135  "DAMN!!"
>             add oil: 202
> CYL 4: try 1: 165  "actually approching normal, sigh.."
>             try 2: 168

Let's see......... average is ~150.  All cylinders are within +/-10%.  Not
too bad.....  Besides, absolute cylinder pressure measurements aren't exact
science.  There are too many variables.  So relative pressure comparison is
all you can really go by.  If it were 100 +/-10% you'd still be OK.

> So, yes, it appears it needs a rebuild, which I can't manage just yet :(

I wouldn't worry about it.

 >I also noticed my plugs were black and sooty as well, must be running
pretty
> rich because the plugs were new about a week ago.  I ALSO noticed some

OK.  That I would worry about.  But it sounds more like a SPICA tune-up
issue.

 >excessive steam coming from the tailpipe and black splatters during warm up
on
> a pretty dry hot day so I'm suspecting the head gasket as well.  All this

Hell!  My '89 Spider has been doing that for years and I plan to pass the
200Kmi mark later this year.  Steam from the tailpipe is often the byproduct
of combustion through a cold tailpipe.  If it goes away after running for a
few minutes, fuggedaboutit!  The black splatters are probably from carbon
desposits picked up by the steam and water particles.

  besides the fact that the engine both leaks and burns oil upon
decelleration>

Burns oil?  It's an Alfa right?  So what?  My Spider burns ~1qt/1000mi since
new.  Not much change over time either.  If it's smoking visibly, then in the
interest of the environment, you should probably consider fixing it.  But my
first guess would be valve guides and seals, not the pistons and rings.

But leaks?  What kind of leaks and where?  I'd worry about water leaks more
than oil leaks.  But anything from the head gasket area can be a cause for
concern.

  >makes me say I've had enough with it until I have the time and space to
tear
> it down.  So, I'll need an engine afterall, or I'll have to look for another
> car... :(

I'd tune the SPICA and drive the car!  That's what Alfas were built for.....
and rebuilt for!  ;-)  Get the slave cylinder fixed and drive it to Don's to
see what he says.

  >/<>/>/>
>
> 77 spider gone ill

Cheers,