RE: Anti-freeze leak in interior

AJ -

Most likely it is the heater valve. Not too bad a job on an '86, but it does
require laying on your back with your head in the footwell and other such
contortions.

Remove the side piece of the cosole. There are three or four screws hidden
in the carpet, and it will pull out. There might be some tabs that it fits
into, so it will require a combination of pulling and sliding to the rear.

There is a plastic air duct attached to the bottom of the heater housing
with two bolts (7mm head size I think) remove these and the plastic piece
will come away. Pull it out and disconnect it from the defroster hose.

After this it is pretty straightforward, disconnect the cable, two retaining
bolts and the hose. You may have to cut the hose clamp off the hose, if it
is the original from the factory, the heater assembly was installed before
the dash and the screws are on the top and nearly impossible to access.

Be sure to get a new gasket with the heater valve, and lay some towels on
the floor as some anti-freeze will dribble out. If you have an air
compressor, disconnect the two heater hoses inside the engine compartment,
open the heater valve, and blow some air through at a LOW pressure (15 psi
or so) and you will get most of the coolant out of the core first and
minimize the mess.

This would be a good time to replace the two heater hoses as well.

LMK if you have any questions.

Jeff