Subject: Alfa fun
Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 07:17:02 -0700 (PDT)
From: Bonnie Valant-Spaight <bvalantspaight@domain.elided>

Hi everyone -
The Houston Chronicle had a contest to write a story about your first car, and my story was one of the winners! To see it, you can go to
http://houstonchronicle.p2ionline.com/myfirstcar/p12.htm

If you click on the article, you can get a legible version. It is a happy coincidence that the article is published today, my father's birthday.

Hope you like it!
Bonnie

My parents gave me my first car, a 1974 Alfa Romeo Berlina, on my 16th
birthday. Everybody in my family drove an Alfa Romeo, and getting my
own was a rite of passage. This passion for Alfas came from my father,
whose love for these automobiles stretched back to his own teenage years. In
mid-life, he left a promising career as a chemist at Texas Instruments to
pursue his dream of restoring, building, and racing Alfas. He rebuilt and
restored my Alfa with his own hands, painting it cherry red at my request.

Driving this car was a joy. Its many quirks and oddities gave it a personality
that new cars, no matter how nice, just lack. The speedometer went out -
twice - but by that point, I could tell how fast I was going by the sound of
the engine. My Alfa had its own voice; my dog could pick out the sound of
my car when I was a mile away and would unfailingly greet me at the door.
Between the engine's roar and the clicks, whirs, and hums of the dashboard,
riders were always subject to low-level cacophony, so much so that my
friend once sarcastically nominated my car for "best place to listen to
classical music in Dallas." The personality wasn't limited to sound; the
smell of old Alfa vinyl still reminds me of home.

Alfas are notoriously unpredictable cars, and this one was no exception. I'll
never forget the time that the windshield wiper fell off the car while I was
driving, or the time on the highway when the muffler mount gave out and I
ended up dragging my muffler around the "bad" part of town. Then there
was driving through the Mojave desert in August with no air conditioning,
or trying to peer through the frost on the rear windshield because the wire
had fallen off the defroster. But surprisingly enough, my car never left me
stranded.

Owning this car was also a learning experience. After I moved out of state
for college, I did everything from routine maintenance on the car, like
changing the headlights, spark plugs, and oil, to more exotic things, such as
installing new fuel pumps and windshield wiper motors, bleeding the brakes,
and repairing the steering box. My dad would send me little repair "care
packages" with the parts and tools that I needed, including instructions
written in his own hand. He also made a "show and tell" picture book for
me, with annotated photos of my car showing the important parts. In the
back of the book, he included the instructions, "When in doubt, call Dad."

My father passed away seven years ago from cancer. That first summer
without him was the hardest, and when I felt low, I went to my car. Getting
in the car was like getting a big hug from him, and hearing the engine spring
to life was like hearing his voice. My father wasn't big on words, but I
always knew how much he loved me by how much care he put into restoring
and repairing my first car. When I think of that car, I always think of him.