Re: alfa-digest V9 #496

In a message dated 5/14/2003 1:58:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 08:42:51 -0500
> From: Bernie Bennett <bennetts77833@domain.elided>
> Subject: Re: '91 spider airbag light
>
> Karl wrote:
>
> >recently acquired a '91 spider and it has the airbag light lit, as I have
> >heard many spiders do. Can someone tell me what the fix is, if any?
> >

> Karl:
>
> If there has been an answer, definitive answer to this question I
> haven't seen it. My mechanic keeps applying stabilant to some part of
> the wiring harness or something; usually as a last thing in a long list
> of stuff when I've not been in the mood to notice. He only turns it off
> if I ask, his spider's light is lit too!
>
> Let me know if you get a good answer. Post a summary of what's known if
> you find out.
>
> Thanks,
> Bernie Bennett
> Brenham, TX
> Automatic Spider's airbag lites stay on too! <g>

Texas Bernie #1,
       I wrote Karl off line.  My suggestion was black tape over the
offending light!  The light is always on in our 91 spider (Normale) with
about 109,000 miles.  The garage queen 91 Spider Veloce with about 30,000
miles did not have the light on until recently.  On the higher mileage Alfa,
I tried to reset several times and it would stay off until the first pothole
or bump.  I might try to reset the light on the Veloce, but have no great
hopes.  I have no great hopes that the airbag will even work if needed.  It
is 13 years old (both my 91 spiders were build 5/1990).
       So think black tape...

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City