Freebies

Brian Shorey said:

"Second question, AROC requires membership to participate in things like
national conventions, etc.  Why?  Why not just let anybody show up and
attend?  Sure, I know insurance costs money, but so does hosting a web
site, and printing a newsletter.

"The same logic that has everybody telling me to just give away our
content, shouldn't that logic apply to other 'value' that the club
provides?"

Websites are marketing tools, and to a certain extent newsletters are,
too. I think anyone who asks ought to be given one or two free copies of
a chapter's newsletter; when I was doing the Tennessee one, circulation
consisted of the chapter membership plus anyone who had written to
request a subscription. We did get a few members that way, and a certain
amount of attention, and some nice fan mail besides. AROSC, of which I
am not currently a member, will still sell me a subscription to its
newsletter, and were I to show up at a meeting they wouldn't kick me
out. Or so they claim...

Conventions, though, are one of the *rewards* (along with the Alfa
Owner, tech library and various discounts) for being a member. The
websites and newsletters PUBLICIZE these rewards, thus conveying some
good reasons for joining. Similarly, putting on well-advertised events
with free public spectator access is another good investment, and
opening up participation (for a fee, usually a bit higher than that
charged to members) can not only add to the fun - and effectiveness -
but make the club some money as well.

Will Owen