RE: Freeloaders

Brian,

I don't know about the other comments you've received, but my philosophy is
that we should be trying to spread the word about Alfa Romeo Ownership and
helping everyone who expresses an interest in Alfas, whether they are owners
or not.  Does that mean that we give them everything?  No.  But we should be
doing our best to dangle the 'carrot' to encourage folks to join AROC and a
local AROC Chapter, not pushing them away.

In answer to your (three, not two) questions: Chapter Newsletters for free?
That's a Chapter decision.  If they want to provide free access, that's fine
by me.  But, at the very least, if an AROC member requests a copy of the
Newsletter from another chapter, that should be provided free as an AROC
membership benefit.  Membership required to participate?  No, not really.
Take a look at the South Florida AROC Convention Registration Package.  It
says that non-members can come.  They just have to pay a $60 additional fee.
Gee, isn't that the cost of a membership?  Weird coincidence, huh?  We
should make joining AROC attractive!  What that means is that getting a
membership entitles the member to great benefits like the "tech line", a
great magazine, some great contacts, discounts at parts distributors and/or
repair shops, etc.  Do you think that a Newsletter falls into the same
'attractive' category?  If you do, and your Chapter agrees, then OK.  That's
what democracy is all about.

OK.  Off my 'soapbox'.

Cheers,

Alfalex Csank
Norfolk, VA
'69 Spider 1300 Jr. (sounds really fast)
'87 Milano Gold (lowered and loud)
'87 Milano Verde (reddest interior around)

"There is a very fine line between a hobby and a mental illness"

From: "Brian Shorey" <bshorey@domain.elided>
Subject: Freeloaders

(paraphrased)

Why aren't the chapters broadcasting stuff like this to all of us who are
interested, for free?

AROC requires membership to participate in things like national conventions,
etc.  Why?  Why not just let anybody show up and attend?  Sure, I know
insurance costs money, but so does hosting a web site, and printing a
newsletter.

The same logic that has everybody telling me to just give away our content,
shouldn't that logic apply to other 'value' that the club provides?