Re: Newbie questions...

2)  I have found that unless you position the jack stands under the front ball
joints, the spring will force the upper control arm against the bump stop and
hide all slop in the front ball joints, upper control arm and caster rod.
Speaking of caster rods, the bushing at the aft end where it connects to the
upper control arm is notorious for failing and causing suspension clunks in
the front end.
Being that I am "right in there" on this job, I'll add a few things I've noticed.

Knowing I had a lot of my front (and rear!) suspension bushings shot, I picked up the Centerline Xmas package deal on all front suspension parts, and am now in the process of taking apart and rebuilding the front end.

I had pried a lot at various joints, noticed some loosness, but only when I got the spring pans down and all spring pressure off did I really see how loose the lower A arm bushings and the ball joints were. I was really astounded! The lower A's barlely moved with a big screwdriver as prybar, but had nearly 1/8" play in them when loose, and the balls especially my lowers, have the rubber boots holding them together, practically..

Front caster joints (at the body) were pretty good, but that center side at the upper arm was rather shot. There seems to be a pair of plastic washers that "cap" each side, keeping dust and grit from grinding the rubber to death prematurely.. not every parts supplier has them, but they might be worth looking for if you're going to replace them..

For that matter, the whole upper A arm comes as an assembly, ball joint, caster bushing, and main bushing already replaced. Saves some pressing work with the bushings, and I'm not sure you can replace an upper ball joint.

If you go for that, it's worth getting the adjustable ones, somewhat more expensive, but most consider worth it for the ability to adjust camber for a better ride. These came with the Centerline package, so soon I'll know..

Then there's the rear end... a whole 'nother story! Luckily a simpler one..

Jon
77 Spider