Re: Fouled plug, injector problem - exhaust manifold crack?

A reputable Alfa mechanic mentioned to me that a burned valve could cause the kind of trouble I've been having with my Spider. How does this resonate with all of you on the digest?

To recap, for those of you not familiar with the problem, the original message I sent to the digest is posted below. I've had a lot of great help and trouble shooting suggestions from several digest members but so far have come up empty.

========== Original message posted 4/26/03 ==========
My Spider has not been running too well lately. Idle is rough and there's noticeably less power than normal during acceleration. There's a hint of misfire (I think) at all RPM.

During trouble shooting I discovered that the exhaust manifold is cracked at #4. I also found that #4 plug is black and wet. Compression is about 165, 160, 160, 150. If I disconnect the plug to the #4 injector while the engine is idling, the engine continues to run as if I had not pulled the plug. All other injector plugs cause a drastic change in idle when pulled.

--

-Robert Abatecola, San Jose, CA
1985 GTV6