Steering wheel removal.

I'm trying to remove the steering wheel of my Milano/75 to change the
combination switch that went bad.  The PO had installed a Momo Monte Carlo
Steering wheel.  I have a generic steering wheel puller.  I removed the hex
head screws holding the wheel on easily enough and now I am at the hub.  The
hub has holes and is threaded for the aforementioned hex head screws which
are only 5 mm.  I threaded longer screws thru the puller and then into 2 of
the holes.  I've tightened the center bolt against the center stud of the
column as tight as I dared.  The thing won't budge.
Am I missing something?  Any tricks to this?  Do I remember something about
whacking the center bolt with a hammer or something?  I don't want to distort
the hub any.
Any suggestions appreciated!

Thanks!

Tony Brucia