RE: Steering wheel removal.

< I've tightened the center bolt against the center stud of the
column as tight as I dared.  The thing won't budge.
Am I missing something?  Any tricks to this?  Do I remember something about
whacking the center bolt with a hammer or something?>

Yes, hit the center bolt of the puller with a hammer while it under load.
The additional shock is sometimes enough to break it free. However, it is a
good idea to leave the nut on loosely on the end of the shaft so as to
minimize the chance of damaging the threads on the end of the shaft.

Jeff