RE: New to Alfa, Get an Owner's Manual

Agree somewhat, but I would not really recommend that everyone with an Alfa
needs a owner manual, or discourage anyone from posting about any Alfa
question (or answer for that matter).

Actually, my 72-74 owners manual (the rain soaked, dog eared filthy original
and the copy version) has a terrible photo that fails to convey exactly
where the differential fluid goes. After looking at a good photo elsewhere,
it became more obvious that the fill plug is recessed and hidden behind the
brake mechanisms and almost visible from behind the car.

Some posts seem to indicate that some of the recommended fluids are no
longer made. Don't know where Dan is stationed, but I imagine the listed
maintenance items for Alfas are hard to come by in many places around the
world, even if they are still made.

Owner manual drawings are generally vague at best, so it is seldom the first
place I look when I have a question. I have many resources like the
extensive Alfa Ricambi and 4 smaller illustrated catalogs and several books
or repair manuals that I refer to first, rather than trying to crawl under a
very low 72 spider or try to decipher the fairly poor manual. Actually I
often search past digests first! I imagine I have had at least 50 used cars
without the benefit of any owners manual, and I must say that I don't feel
especially deprived for it.

Richard
Portland OR