Fred's Lament

Scott Fisher is no longer active on AD, but he gave me permission to post
this for him.  It's an honor.

Gone is the gladness, the spring from our gait,
Sorrowful tidings have reached us of late;
We have lost a great treasure of wisdom in store:
Fred di Matteo is with us no more.

His knowledge, his humor, he happily shared,
But woe to Alfisti who came unprepared:
He suffered fools little, and chided them sore:
Fred di Matteo is with us no more.

As one day we all must, he answered the call
To join Nuvolari, and Varzi, and all,
And the Commendatore is keeping the score:
Fred di Matteo is with us no more.

But spirits that walk in the world cannot fade;
As the spirit fares wider, a new world is made.
From us, who so loved him, his death cannot sever:
Fred di Matteo is with us forever.

--Scott Fisher