Re: 91 Spider Transmission BROKE?

Russ and Louis,
       I think I know what happened since I had the same event.  As I recall,
Louis is using a Sachs OEM disc, so the quality is good.  But the steel
fingers that connect the friction disc to the hub have probably sheared off.
What causes this is bad bearings in the transimission.  The input shaft will
wobble so much that it warps and stress the hub until each of the fingers
shears off.  I had this happen after 135k mi on my original clutch.  But I
didn't recognize the problem at the time and installed a new AP Racing disc.
Then it started to make noises after 1year.  I pulled it before it failed but
I could see the stress cracks developing.  I check the transmission and found
excessive wobble in the input shaft.  Took it to Tom Sahines and he pulled it
apart and found the guts were shot.  So he got another transmission from APE
and rebuilt it and lightened the gears.  It's been smooth shifting for the
past two years and I haven't looked back.

Cheers,
Charlie