Re: 91 Spider Transmission BROKE?

In a message dated 4/21/2003 1:09:53 AM Central Daylight Time,
ltooz@domain.elided writes:

> I finally had time to drop the transmission this weekend, and guess what I
> found out, the hub in the center of the clutch was sheared off the clutch
> just like Russ predicted. Please look at the pictures

       While I guessed correctly, I was still wrong.  I have not seen a
clutch fail where yours did - that is between the springs and the clutch
lining material.  I envisioned that the small splined hub in the center of
the clutch disk came loose.  I have seen that happen on an off brand clutch
disk that was not riveted to the disk.
       I have no clue why yours broke where it did.  I do like to put a bit
of wheel bearing grease on the transmission input shaft.  That prevents rust
and allows the clutch disk to move on the input shaft.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City