GTV6 won't run - please help!

First of all, thanks in advance. For the last week or so my '85 GTV6 was idling at about 1,400 RPM (over usual 1K) but otherwise running fine. I suspected worn hoses and was going to change them all but this past Saturday it became sluggish and quickly deteriorated until I barely made it home from the t-ball field, which luckily is only a couple of miles from home (yes I am a six year old Alfa driver, I can barely reach the pedals, but I did go three for three and score three runs). The next day (yesterday) it barely made it over the bump at the end of my driveway and into the garage. It won't rev at all, and doesn't want to start. I have checked two of the spark plugs, which were fine, but I suppose I should check the other four for maybe a bent or burnt valve.
I did over-rev it for less than half a second about a week ago (only to about 6,000, but I thought I heard a little gnashing or "valve float" for that fraction of a second). There was a valve train click several days later so I stopped driving it, awaiting the cam cover gaskets and spark plug seals from Alfa Of Tacoma, but I had to take it Saturday because the baseball equipment won't fit in my other running car. I should receive the parts today, and am checking the other plugs and the compression tonight. I have not yet checked the rotor or cap. Any ideas? Abused shim? Bent valve? Things to look for? This isn't a blown engine, is it? Head gasket? Please help. (And thanks again, Tony, for the GTV, which this week at least is now my daily driver. Darn, if it's not one thing it's another . . . ).
Again, TIA.

Eric Valley
Shelton WA
'74 GTV