Re: 91 Spider Transmission BROKE?

In a message dated 4/21/03 4:54:59 AM Pacific Daylight Time, Louis Le writes:

<snip>
>  What can cause this to happen? Defective clutch disc?
<snip>

Hoo boy, do those photos look familiar! Certainly a defective clutch disc can
cause this to happen. Was this a new disc or rebuilt? If it was rebuilt, it
could have been fatigued from previous use. (By someone on the AD, perhaps?)
:-)

"Abuse" in the form of sharp changes in tire/clutch speed can do it, too. By
'sharp' I mean the type of sudden changes brought on by, for example, driving
on an icy surface with the tires spinning and suddenly hitting a dry patch.
The tires virtually stop as they grab traction, putting incredible pressure
on the clutch disc springs and those thin pieces of metal you broke in your
clutch disc. I did this on my Jetta once fooling around in the snow ... that
was a *cold* clutch change, let me tell you. :-)

Being as you're in Fremont, CA I don't suppose you have very much of that
white fluffy stuff to drive in these days, but similar stresses could have
caused the break.

Tom
Seattle
6310123 (safe from broken clutches for now)
7711615 (almost ready to start reassembly ... where did I put that
instruction sheet?)