Remembering Fred DiMatteo

Many years ago, when Fred was an AROC Director, we found ourselves at opposite ends of
an issue before the Board, leading to some very heated discussions between us. We
couldn't seem to find a middle ground to agree on the issue, whatever it was, as I've
long forgotten. A day or so later, as we were sayin' our good-byes to our many AROC
friends. I approached Fred and and expressed my respect and admiration for all he was
doin' for the Alfa Romeo community and told him I looked forward to seein' him an Anna
at the convention the following year. He had a rather shocked look on his face and
asked me somethin' like, "You're still my friend after our disagreement?" I told him I
loved him like family, even if we didn't agree on everything. We both fought back the
tears. After that we became even closer and discussed many things besides Alfas in our
extended phone conversations - and I was always surprised to find out how much we
agreed on issues like religion and politics and other very personal things. I feel very
honored to have known Fred.

I will always love Fred, and Anna, and find comfort in knowing that they are once again
together and doin' what they can to help each other, and all the other folks they can.
So, next time you're vexed by an electrical problem with your Alfa Romeo remember how
Fred would have methodically approached it - he'll be there to help you figure out what
the root cause is and won't let you just throw parts at the problem until you stumble
upon the solution.

Bernie
'83 GTV6
Alpine, TX