DHLA 40 Idle Jets

Randy Watson asked about the idle jets in his Dellorto DHLA 40 carbs.

The jet sizes are scribed or stamped on the sides of the jets.  Not the
easiest thing in the world to read, but as with Weber jets, they are
easily removed for examination.

The recommended idle jet size is 50.  Aftermarket publications such as
Haynes and Autobooks manuals say 52-55.

In my efforts to optimize my Alfetta, I have used different idle jets
over the range of 50 to 60. Using 120 main jets,  210 main air jets and
7850.3 idle air jets (factory specs are 135/180/7850.2) the 55 idle
jets work well, and 50's are too lean causing a pronounced lean surge
or stumble at highway speeds.  I'm planning to try a set of 53's
sometime soon in an effort to reduce fuel consumption.

Idle jets and any other part you might want for Dellortos are available
from Dellorto UK. Their web site is www.dellorto.co.uk.  In my
experience, it takes about a week to get parts from them.

George Beston
Alfetta
Spider Jr