Re: V-6 Timing Belt Burning Smell?

>Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 00:01:21 -0700 (PDT)
>From: Dio Genio <diogenio@domain.elided>
>Subject: V-6 Timing Belt Burning Smell?
>
>I am new owner of a Milano Platinum and am just
>getting used to my first V-6. I've noticed the
>distinctive, unmistakable smell of burning rubber only
>when I'm accelerating and RPMs go over 4,000.
>
>Or, can the Guibos make this kind of rubbery smell if
>they are starting to self-destruct? Any thoughts?

Yes, the giubos can make that smell under load at speed.  Mine certainly
did.  A run up to redline in 3rd caused a loud bang and the sight of a
bouncing rubber chunk in my rear view mirror.  After that, no more
burning rubber.  I replaced the giubos a couple weeks later.

Oddly enough, my driveline never vibrated.

-Dennis
Sunnyvale, CA
'85 GTV6