Optimistic Speedo

A new speedo cable finally got the speedo working on my new 1985
Spider but now the speedometer reads consistently about 20 mph too
high! I thought it might be faulty, so replaced it with a transplant
from a wrecked '83 Spider with same results. Both speedo units have
a little sticker on the back which reads: 1609 revs = 1 mile. Can
anyone offer any suggestions on this topic?
Thanks,
Gil