re: '85 Spider NO START problem, more HELP needed...

At 2:25 AM +0000 4/15/03, alfa-digest wrote:
One thing I noticed is that the fuel pump DOES NOT activate when the AFM door
is held open with the ignition on. As I remember from old L-Jetronic BMW's,
the AFM has a open door switch that activates the fuel pump once the engine has
started. The fuel pump is initially activated by the starter circuit. Although there is no reference in the factory manual, I believe the Alfa is the
same?

It sounds like you're on to something there. That's one of the first things I check on an L-Jet car with a start-and-die condition. Opening the AFM with the key in the RUN position should activate the fuel pump. But you say that jumping the pump to run all the time doesn't help...hmm. Well, it sounds like you found at least one problem. This is where I'd start to suspect an ECU failure, but you say you already swapped it with a known good one (I honestly don't remember if the fuel pump cutoff in the AFM is dependent on the ECU though). Have you checked the injector grounds?

Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6