'85 Spider NO START problem, more HELP needed...

As a follow-up to what was incorrectly thought to be an ECU problem in 'ex-
friend's' Spider after I gave it the Italian tune-up...

Found the distributor shaft key had jumped due to a loose hold down bolt and
the timing was 180 degrees off!  The car was running perfectly and then
abruptedly died due to this malfunction.  The cam timing, distributor timing,
and compression are all checked and correct.

The car will now immediately fire and run smoothly for a few seconds before
dying.  Any chance the distributor timing jump damaged the ignition control
unit or drive relay(the only things I haven't yet swapped!)?

I've checked the inertia cut-off switch, swapped the fuel pump relay and ECU
with a known good one, even jumped the fuel pump so it ran continously, but all
had no effect.  There is power at the fuel pump fuse when the ignition switch
is on.  There is also power at the fuel pump and it works when the starter is
engaged.

Seems like the car is starting only on fuel from the cold start injector and
will not continue running even if the fuel pump is jumped to run continously.

One thing I noticed is that the fuel pump DOES NOT activate when the AFM door
is held open with the ignition on.  As I remember from old L-Jetronic BMW's,
the AFM has a open door switch that activates the fuel pump once the engine has
started.  The fuel pump is initially activated by the starter circuit.
Although there is no reference in the factory manual, I believe the Alfa is the
same?

So far, I've gone through almost all the items in the factory shop manual
troubleshooting list.  Any ideas?

Thanks!

Jeff