sliding calipers anyone?

Hi everybody,

It seems that a lot of the newer cars seem to be using sliding calipers rather
than the traditional calipers like the ones found in our Alfas.

I was surprised to see them (if I am not mistaken) in cars like the WRX.

I realize that the sliding caliper is cheaper to manufacture and maybe easier
to service but I cant help feel that the performance of the traditional
calipers and their effect on even disc wear is better than the sliding ones.

Anyone out there with an opinion on the subject or even better with some
empirical data?

Thanks,

Joseph