Re: sliding (floating) calipers anyone?

Besides the difference in manufacturing cost, the floating caliper requires less
clearance to the outside of the rotor.  That also makes wheel design for FWD
easier and cheaper.  It also makes the caliper lighter.

Calipers with opposed pistons might provide more even pad wear, but there's no
penalty in performance if piston and pad sizes are comparable.  So . . . less
expensive caliper, less expensive wheel and less weight.  If it's a FWD car, it
will probably have floating calipers no matter who makes it.

Jim Steck
AutoComponenti