Dick Stachowiak

71 Spider
71 GTV

On Saturday, April 12, 2003, at 03:13 PM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:56:21 -0500
From: "Randy Watson" <randy_watson@domain.elided>
Subject: MarelliPlex problems?

Fellow Alfa enthusiasts:

I am in the process of getting my 72 Spider back on the road after a
several year hiatus. One of the reasons that I stopped driving it was
due to a severe problem with high exhaust gas temperatures. The exhaust
gas temps are high enough to turn the exhaust headers cherry red when
running the engine at 3000 RPM with no load for about 1 minute. Not
good! In addition, the engine seems to have the timing advanced way too
much (even after turning the distributor to max retard) or be really out
of whack because I get blowback through the carbs and some detonation in
the exhaust system. I checked the cam timing and it was OK> The engine
has about 4000 miles on it after a complete rebuild.

Now to the point: is the MarelliPlex ignition prone to random problems?
My experience is that electronic ignition systems either work or they
don't work at all. I think I have chased down any vacuum leak problems,
so now I am wondering if I should just ditch the MarelliPlex and by a
new electronic ignition system. Any advice appreciated!!!

Randy Watson