Re: alfa-digest V9 #406

It's a guy's name. Some German aerodynamicist from the 1930's, IIRC. At the time, it was believed that a tapered tail which came to a long point was best for aerodynamics because it 'eased' the slip stream back together. Kamm did some wind tunnel studies which showed that this shape caused extreme turbulence and that the low pressure area formed on top of the sloping back actually caused MORE drag, not less. He found that by truncating the tail (according to some area rule he worked out mathematically) and adding a small lip to the top of the truncation, that this low pressure area and the turbulence that caused it could be "spoiled." Hence the term 'Kamm Spoiler.' It wasn't really until the late '50's and early '60's when race cars started to exceed 150 mph on a regular basis, that Kamm's findings started to have any real effect on race car design. The Giulia TZ was certainly the first Alfa to use these principles, but the early mid-engined V-6 Ferrari 246 SP road-racers from about 1960-61 was the first serious use of the 'Kamm Effect' that I can recall. After that cars like the Shelby Cobra Coupe, the GT-40, the Ferrari P2, P3, and P4 all relied heavily on the Kamm Effect. Of course, many road-going cars aped the Kamm features as styling gimmicks, including the 1963-64 Ferrari Lusso, The 1967-69 Shelby GT350 and 500, The already mentioned Toronado, The Lotus Esprit, the Alfa spider from 1971 to the late '80's as well as the Alfetta GTV, GTV-6, along with many others. As to whether any of these styling tricks actually did anything aerodynamically is a matter for conjecture, because without wind tunnel tests, its almost impossible to know.

George Graves
'86 GTV-6 3.0S

On Friday, April 11, 2003, at 09:20 AM, alfa-digest wrote:

Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 07:07:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Russ Tine <rtalfa@domain.elided>
Subject: Kamm?

I was reading the current issue of Car Collector Magazine, and they had an article about the Olds Toronado. They refered to it as being a Kamm-back. I know that my spider is a Kamm-tail, as opposed to a round tail, but I was curious about the origin of "Kamm". Anyone have any ideas? Regards,Russ Tine75 spider87 milano