Re: GTV-6, broken lugs, advice needed

As someone who spends too much time each month looking at failed WAP(wheel
atttaching parts)  let me take a swing at this.  I preface it by admitting
that my advise is based on what we recomendations for truck applications.

The most common failure of studs is due to a loosening caused by
overtightening!  How's that for reverse logic?  try explaining that to a
mechanic in love with his 3/4" impact gun!

What usually happens is that the nut  is overtightened which stretches the
stud, causing a loss of clamp load, which actually produces a loose
condition.  If you look at the broken end of a failed stud you will usually
see the characteristic "beach marks" where the stud was failing in small
increments, they are usually polished smooth up to a point where the metal is
rough and grey looking, which is the point where the stud finally let go.

The recomendation for Class 6-8 vehicles is to replace the studs on either
side in addition to a broken one, and if two fail to replace all on the wheel
end.  Of course this is on vehicles with ten studs, but it would seem even
more critical when you have even fewer.  Besides studs and nuts aren't that
expensive, (said the salesman).

Also always torque to to the correct value, and leave the anti-sieze in the
toolbox.  Torque specifications for WAP are dry.  (at least for trucks). I
think we have a video on CD if anyone is interested e-mail me and I'll try to
find a copy.

Off my soapbox for now.

Mitch Fisher
District Sales Manager