RE: GTV-6, broken lugs, advice needed

> My questions are:
> 1) Why on earth did this happen?  (A Miata-owning aquaintance wasn't
> surprised and said he's seen this happen before, but I can't see what
> they cause could possibly be.)

You torqued them too high, or left them loose.  Or maybe the studs were
defective.

> 2) How dangerous is it to drive (conservatively) with two of five
> lugs broken off on a hub-centric wheel?

More dangerous than with one broken.  If they're right next to each
other, I'd be *real* careful.

> 3) Even if the answer to #2 is "pretty safe," what are the odds of
> additional lugs randomly breaking off over the next 500 miles?

Imo, the odds are higher than the odds of breaking off 2 in the last
1,000 miles.

I would go no further than it takes to get them replaced.  Check the
torque on the other wheels while you're at it.

Did you put the lug nuts on with an air wrench?  A torque wrench?  I'd
try to find the cause, and examine all the others carefully.

Be safe,

bs