GTV-6, broken lugs, advice needed

I noticed yesterday that two of the lugs on my right front wheel are broken off. I haven't done anything weird or abusive, but I did install new brake discs (and lugs) about 1000 miles ago.

My questions are:
1) Why on earth did this happen? (A Miata-owning aquaintance wasn't surprised and said he's seen this happen before, but I can't see what they cause could possibly be.)

2) How dangerous is it to drive (conservatively) with two of five lugs broken off on a hub-centric wheel?

3) Even if the answer to #2 is "pretty safe," what are the odds of additional lugs randomly breaking off over the next 500 miles?

Thanks,
Joe Elliott
'82 GTV-6