s4 clutch problem

In a message dated 4/6/2003 12:38:49 AM Central Daylight Time,
owner-alfa-digest@domain.elided writes:

> Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 10:33:30 -0700
> From: "C.M. Bereznoff" <cmbereznoff@domain.elided>
> Subject: s4 clutch problem

<snip>

> Now the question.  I replaced the original fluid with Valvoline Synthetic
> DOT 3 DOT 4 compatable fluid.  Is this a problem?   Do Aflas not like this
> stuff or was it just that the Slave cylinder was going bad to begin with?
>
> Craig Bereznoff
> 93 Spider Veloce  07821
> Longmont. Colorado USA
> cmbereznoff@domain.elided

       I bought some Valvolene Synthetic brake fluid some time ago.  It had
good numbers and was priced less than the Castrol LMA I had intended to buy.
       I am sure the Valvolene did not damage your clutch system.  Dot 3
fluid is a bit more harsh and used to eat the rubber parts on British cars,
so I never use Dot 3.  Dot 3 may be fine today, but I might suspect it of
damage to your system, but not the Valvolene.
       The problem I had with Valvolene was a soft brake pedal.  I was
running it in my 84 Spider race car.  The soft pedal went away when I drained
the Valvolene and went back to ATE blue brake fluid.
       So I suggest Castrol for street Alfas and ATE for racing or extreme
use.  I will not be buying Valvolene again.
       Oh, yes, in my street Alfas, I am currently running Tutela brake
fluid, which is from Fiat.  AlfaBill had a case on eBay, and I got it cheap.
It was even better when it arrived and was a case of quarts rather than pints
as I thought I was buying.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City