Re: 5/16th" vs. 8 mm Fuel Hose

In a message dated 3/31/2003 1:33:31 PM Central Standard Time,
karld@domain.elided writes:

> In theory, 5/16 should be better at preventing leaks, all else being equal,
> given that 7.93mm is a tighter fit than 8mm.
>
> I believe that the BMW hose is less likely to leak due to it's
> construction. I will be going to the BMW dealer this week to replace the
> 5/16" that I installed yesterday.
>
> (For those of you that don't own one of these beasts, we're not beating a
> dead horse. A fine spray of leaking fuel in an engine compartment noted for
> it's high heat and tight confines is a recipe for disaster.)

Well, my 164 leaked with the original hose, it leaked when I fitted 5/16"
hose, and it still leaks now that I bought and installed the expensive BMW
hose. It leaked when I used radiator-type screw clamps and it leakes when I
use "fuel hose" clamps. It leaks when I use one clamp and it leaks when I use
two. Must be my technique. The only thing that stops it from leaking is
frequent checks and clamp tightening.
I agree that having fuel sparying around the engine compartment is not the
best thing, but, at least in the absence of an open flame, it seems to be
more of an annoyance than it is a hazard. And it can't help my gas mileage
much.

Bob Abhalter
Paducah KY
'91 164L