RE: mod questions

<snip>
> konis. I'm personally leaning toward gas charged. This is and always
> will be a street car (notice no roll bar planned), and AFAIK the tech
<snip>

<snip>
> Ultimately, the goal is to have a car that "feels" better without
> jarring my teeth out, and which would occasionally be used at
autocross
> and club events. As well as impressing my "ricer" friend, who
<snip>

Careful, you may not be able to autocross without a roll bar..

Anyhow, to comment on specific questions in your request.

I don't find Koni reds to be harsh at all.  Koni yellows are the harsh
ones, reds are the mild ones (IIRC).  And personally, I don't find the
yellows too harsh for the street.

That said, if you're going to use Rugh springs, you might check with him
to see what he recommends for shocks (and sway bars, etc).  My
recollection is that he recommends Bilsteins with his springs, but I
could be wrong.

As for bushings, the old urethane bushings were very stiff, pretty much
solid, but the new poly bushings (I like Performatek) have the same
basic level of suppleness as the stock bushings, yet they won't degrade
over time.

I'd highly recommend them, 7 year old rubber bushings could probably
stand to be replaced.

You might want to start by getting your chassis measured and aligned, if
you suspect it might be in need of some tweaking.  For example, if
things are a little bit off, you might go for the chassis tweaking
before doing the rest of the work, rather than later.  This might also
lead you towards things like adjustable upper control arms, to give you
greater control over your alignment settings (camber).

I'd recommend you consider rebushing the entire suspension, including
ball joints, etc.  So many people just do the joints that appear to be
in need of it, yet other joints and bushings might be worn also, just
not to the point of needing replacement.  And, for the most part, once
you've got things apart, the cost of the joints and bushings is minimal
compared to the labor to get things apart.

Having driven the before/after of more than one Alfa that's been
completely rebushed, you've really got to try it to appreciate it.  You
kind of forget the feeling of what your car felt like the day it was
driven off the showroom floor.

Given all of the above, the most cost effective way to do what you have
in mind is to save all of your pennies and do everything at once.
Otherwise, you'll be paying somebody to take apart the same basic
suspension stuff multiple times..

HTH,

bs