mod questions

Ok, I've decided to go down the track of "improving with new technology" in the modifications for my 71 spider. I've decided to tink with the handling first, so the short list is new rubber, a chasis stiffener, shocks, springs, and (PERHAPS!!) bushings.

The rubber is here, a set of sumitomo HTR200s... the only "high performance" tires tire-rack had anywhere near the size I needed (185-HR14 on 6" BWA alloy wheels). Those go on friday, replacing what must be at least 15 year old pirellis (VERY INTERESTING in the wet).

On the "save yer pennies" list is a frame stiffener, probably pick that up in a few months. After consult here, I'm going to have the car put on a frame rack to make sure it's square before attempting to install. I have reason to believe it might not be.

My question to you guys (yeah! finally!) is the shocks, springs, and (POTENTIALLY) bushings:

IAP carries two kinds of aftermarket shocks... bilstein gas charged and konis. I'm personally leaning toward gas charged. This is and always will be a street car (notice no roll bar planned), and AFAIK the tech wasn't available to alfa at the time. My understanding of how gas charged shocks work lead me to believe it will be a noticeable improvement in both crusing smoothness and "in anger" response. I remember reading here years ago that koni reds are pretty harsh in an old spider.

Am I right? What other options might there be?

The PO put some sort of yellow aftermarket springs in the car. They're stiffer than stock, and lower the car a bit. Stiffer than I like, in fact. Rugh springs come *highly* recomended (not the least because I sold Rugh's brother the rear bumper to my old spider years ago), and I'm considering those. However, I'm not real sure how to get ahold of the man. Suggestions? Alternatives?

Finally, we come to bushings. The whole front suspension on the car was re-done less than two years before I bought it (my god, 7 years ago, but only 30k or so miles), so the bushings (on the front at least) are stock but seem just fine thank you. Eurathane I recall was discussed around here recently and was deemed pretty damned stiff for a spider. Material science has advanced significantly in the past 32 years. I was wondering if there were any alternatives to eurathane that might give better response? Apologies for dredging up the dead horse, but is eurathane really that bad on a spider with a stiffie?

Ultimately, the goal is to have a car that "feels" better without jarring my teeth out, and which would occasionally be used at autocross and club events. As well as impressing my "ricer" friend, who is a great guy (really!), but tends to say "wow, that's really old school" an awful lot around me.

Anyway, thanks in advance! (if this isn't alfa content I don't know what is... Richard may owe me a beer or something ;) )
Scott Johnson
1971 Alfa Spider
Alfa Spider FAQ Author
Herndon VA