Re: Converting three port fuel pump system to two port pump

In a message dated 3/26/2003 3:25:45 PM Central Standard Time,
sfalfisto@domain.elided writes:

> I'm pretty sure mine is plumbed as follows:
>
> fuel goes from tank to pump.
> fuel then exits pump to spica pump.
> fuel returns to rear of car to a T fitting.  one end
> goes to third port of pump, the other end goes back to
> tank.
>
> i thought the third port was an outlet that would dump
> fuel back into the return line and back to the tank if
> the pressure got too high, like from a block.
>
> i could be wrong, but I'll check the plumbing next
> time i'm down there.
>
> ian

       That is basically the way I remember it too.  I plugged mine off about
25 years ago.  As I recall the T in the return line fed hot fuel back into
the intake side of the fuel pump.  And it returned fuel to the tank,
depending on the engine's demand.
       I am quite sure it was not a pressure relief.  In any case, blocking
it off did not seem to hurt anything.

Ciao,
Russ Neely
Oklahoma City