New Alfa!

After lurking for a long time, I have finally acquired myself an Alfa Romeo
again. I bought a 1968 Duetto Spider. So I will probably have a few
questions shortly.

For now, I have two:

1) The seller tells me the VIN number is ARXXXXXX, or 8 digits. Can this be
correct? I would think I can only insure the car with all 17 digits??
2) I am considering driving this vehicle home to Austin, TX, from San Diego,
CA this weekend. As I do not know the vehicle, I am a little worried to get
stuck on this 1100 mile trip. Any Alfisti that I can call for some help
along the way (I-10)??
Thanks for any advice!!

Regards
Peter