Steering Box Grease

While reading this, I remembered saving a post about this in my growing batch of pertinent Digest posts, that even had the size of oil seal to buy..

Ahem.. Deja Name.. ;-)

So, I'll save Erik some typing:

RE: Steering Box Erik Wood
Aug 10, 2002 15:39 PDT Just thought I'd report on the steering box seal replacement in the
event anyone else has one "weeping". It was incredibly easy! No more
than an hour total. These instructions apply to the Burman box. But
the other box used on GTV's should be pretty similar. Here are the
instructions.
First, order a 28x40x7 oil seal from your local bearing wholesaler.
Pick up a bottle of gear oil. After putting the front end solidly on
jack stands, grab a gear puller, screwdriver, pliers and a 32mm socket.
Before you crawl under the car, make sure the key is in the ignition so
the steering won't be locked. Use the pliers and screwdriver to remove
the cotter pin from the nut on the splined shaft. Remove the nut with
the 32mm socket. Use the gear puller to remove the steering arm from
the shaft. My car had a reference mark on the arm and shaft to aid in
reassembly. If yours doesn't, mark the position of the arm on the
shaft. You may have to turn the front wheels slightly to get the arm to
drop completely. Crawl out from under the car and clean the greasy dirt
particles out of your eyes.

Remove the 2 bolts holding the small plate on the top of the box.
Carefully remove the plate being careful to not lose the adjustment
shims between the plate and the top of the box. Withdraw the small
spring from the hole. Next, remove the 4 bolts holding the top cover of
the box. The two inner ones have nuts underneath. Pull the top cover
off. Put a pan under the car to catch the oil as it exits the bottom of
the box. Next, carefully pull up on the steering shaft. As the shaft
pull up in its bore, it will separate from the block through which the
worm gear passes. On top of this block is a small round piece with a
grove on the bottom. Don't lose it. Mine fell into the box, which was
still full of oil. I was able to retrieve it with a magnet. Fully
withdraw the splined shaft (to get clearance, you may have to turn the
steering wheel fully in one direction and make sure the block hasn't
turned to one side). The oil has now landed in the pan. You did put it
under there, didn't you? With the shaft removed, grab your new seal, a
screwdriver and your large socket set and go back underneath. Use the
screwdriver (or seal remover) to remove the old seal being careful not
to damage the bore. Use a rag to clean everything really good and then
press the new seal til it starts to seat by hand. Since I don't have
seal drivers, I use a suitably sized socket and a block of wood to
carefully drive the seal home. It will seat just past flush with the
housing.

Reassembly is the reverse of what I described above. You might have a
little trouble getting the slotted round piece back between the splined
shaft and the block as you put the shaft back in. So just be patient.
As long as you put the steering arm back in the same position on the
splined shaft, it's hard to mess anything up. You didn't even have to
take any tie rods loose. No realignment needed. BTW, it was easier for
me to fill the box most of the way with oil before putting the top cover
back on. Top it off when you are done through the small rubber plug on
top.
I hope no one considers this a waste of bandwidth! But I have often
benefitted from others' descriptions of their projects. Fortunately,
this is one of those that is probably easier than you would expect!

Erik Wood
'74 GTV