Spica vs DCOE 40's

I wanted to tap y'alls experience on Spica vs DCOE 40's.  I've read tons
of stuff and I know what the books say.  They say it's mostly a matter
of pollution, that the carbs don't provide even the slightest gain in
power over a properly running Spica.  Since my car has been running
rich, getting terrible mileage, and is hard starting, I'm going to jump
to the conclusion that it's the Spica.  It got me to thinking.  What is
everyone else doing...?  So, here I am tapping y'alls experience.  I'm
concerned with maintenance down the road too.  What's more reliable and
easier on the owner.  I'm not concerned with keeping it original as this
car will get a Twin Spark in the distant future anyway.  If the answer
is a Wes Ingram rebuild, how long will it last before needing another
rebuild.  If the answer is carbs, what's the best way to go......Buy
used carbs and rebuild?  Where do I get the manifold and all other
hardware?  What's the difference between the different DCOE 40's out
there?  Then there's the question of the air intake.  I'm ready to
listen.  Many thanks.

Dale A. Thomas
Certified Alfa Romeo and BMW Motorcycle Nut
 <http://members.cox.net/dale.thomas> http://members.cox.net/dale.thomas