Special bits

In #354 Joe Elliot mentions he might well have sources for carbon fiber
in his fraternity house.

I personally have no great desire to go into the business, unless there
was a Great Deal of interest. There certainly is some. I gather GTV6
bumpers are of interest to at least several, many want their dashes
recovered (I'm assuming if it is less expensive than Just Dashes - who
do a very nice job). Aluminum radiators are also of interest to several
as well as hoods.

Starting with radiators: I find it difficult to believe that the stock
system (providing everything is almost as new) on 'most' Alfas isn't
adequate under 'most' conditions. The exceptions might be stuck in
traffic on a 110 degree day with the air conditioner running. The other
might be racing on a 110 degree day - especially if it is an enduro.
However I do think they look great under the hood. I just talked to the
fellow next door and it turns out he doesn't have a ready source -
although I will mention he had a fairly compact electric water pump he
was fitting to a Honda.

This has been mentioned, but some Digesters have had custom aluminum
radiators made. If it was basically a reproduction of the existing and
the fabricator was willing to make more, why not send in your source to
the Digest or take orders and (hopefully) have several made at the same
time?

Dashes: I have a spare ratty Alfetta GT dash which I can take to the
dash and door panel guy and get a cost. If there is no saving and / or
the quality isn't all that great, I'll let it go.

Bumpers: If Joe is game to make up ones for the GTV6 I'd say, "Great."
There is a b/w photo on page 117 of the book, 'Alfa Romeo Alfetta GT' by
David Owen. It's hunky but combined with the chin spoiler and large air
intake along with the built in turn / park lamps, is quite attractive.
Does someone in England have a pristine set they could use for molds?
What with all the Formula 1 constructors in England, suspect there might
be some good sources for running up a small batch in carbon fiber over
there?

On page 69 of the same book there is a body color front / rear bumper /
chin spoiler on an apparently one off '81 Euro GTV. I believe the front
is the same as on the later GTV6. This car influenced me greatly when
doing my own Alfetta GT.

Hoods: There was some interest for carbon fiber hoods - again for the
GTV6. Ray Cordova thought heat vents would be / look nice. On the same
page (69) there is a small photo of a 4-cylinder GTV with louvers on
either side, towards the rear.

By-the-by, the Honda hood I lifted up next door weighed 22 pounds - not
much if any weight saving.

Possibly / probably I've brought up something that won't go anywhere,
but do believe having these 'bits' would give restorers / racers some
fun items to work with.

Too lazy to go back through the archives but the fellow who was
considering aluminum doors for his Alfetta GT: I wouldn't bother, but
switch out the glass for Plexi - same goes for the rear hatch.

Biba
Irwindale, CA USA

If anyone wants to get involved in these projects and don't have a
website, send photos when you have something to look at, and I'll add a
page on my site along with an email / phone contact to you.