Re: 2.0 L swap

 TJCallahan writes:

>> the basic resolution is the proper set of engine mounts will make the
difference. They may even be available off the shelf from one or more of the
usual suppliers. You still get to fabricate a set of exhaust
manifolds/headers and a few other things ... challenging is a good
descriptive term for the effort.

Mr. Besic, you have a 2L in your 750/101 spider hot rod, don't you? Care to
share?
<<

The 2.0 Litre swap was made infinitely easier by the availability of motor
mounts (#EM504) designed for the swap, from Centerline.  The Veloce headers
(#PH101), also purchased from Centerline, required only minimal tweaking to
clear the steering shaft.  I have no idea whether these parts are still
available, but I can't imagine a swap without them.

The Giulia 1600 hood was a perfect fit in the 750 Spider and was necessary to
clear the taller 2.0 Litre.  (FYI: The reproduction trim piece on the hood
scoop cost me more than the darn hood!)  Also necessary was the extremely
rare 101 Veloce oil pan.  (It took me months to find a Veloce pan with no
broken fins and the oil pickup elbow.)  The hardest part of the swap was
replacing the mechanical clutch linkage with a juice clutch. We ended up
remaking the pedal assembly to accomodate a Fiat X1/9 master cylinder and
another bracket to hold a puller-type slave cylinder to operate the throw-out
bearing.  Major PITA.  Centerline offered a throw-out bearing adapter
(#CP501) but we opted to try our method.  The clutch is functional but not
very user-friendly..... its basically an on-off switch.  Everybody's who's
driven the car, stalls it the first time.  I've just gotten used to it.

Its been almost seven years since we did the swap so my memories are a bit
clouded but you get the general idea.  Just remember: If it was cheap and
easy, everyone would do it.

Darren Besic