Re: Berlina Steering

Well, they're not really gears, more of a
"worm-and-roller" arrangement, which I guess could be
considered gears.  Semantics...

Anyhoo, look at the top of the steering box and you
should see a plate about 2" long and 1" wide with a
13mm (head size) bolt at each end.  Under this plate
there are shims which are used to adjust the free-play
in the steering.  You remove a shim to tighten things
up, add shims to loosen them.

Try removing one or two shims and see if it helps.
Just be warned, there is a spring under that plate.
It's not going to come shooting out, but it can make
replacing the plate difficult.  Put the front end in
the air so you can move the steering wheel and watch
the wheel move to see if the shim removal improves
things.  Once you think it's close, road test it.

Good luck,
Ian Lomax
71 Spider - with overly tight steering...